Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Neroli, Bergamot, Galbanum, Lemon, Petitgrain.
Violet, Rose, Daffodil, Mimosa, Iris, Sage, Geranium.
Cedar, Vetiver, Oakmoss, Tonka Bean, Almond.

Grey Flannel is one of the few classic masculines that, to this day, gives me split personality. It's association to the woolen sheath it comes in is very appropriate ( at least to me ). I recognize individuality when I smell it and know beforehand that this particular scent is held in high regard by many. Still, I can't bring myself to love it or even give it full wearings, yet I keep it around to periodically visit with it and enjoy the eclecticism that is Grey Flannel. That may sound strange, but Grey Flannel isn't the only fragrance I esteem in a similar fashion.

I suppose it's more about respect for this icon than the desire to be draped in its aroma. For years and until the present, Grey Flannel is a sobering scent. I find it stark and serious, but not devoid of charms. It possess that ability to keep you continually sniffing it, regardless of how you actually feel about what you're smelling. We occasionally run into scents like that and while you're thinking " Hell no....!!!", you're inhaling another whiff because you're compelled to.

The hardest part of wearing Grey Flannel for me is the heart accord. It's at its most rugged, unapologetic and virile part of its interesting life. I actually enjoy the top and drydown stages, but the heart accord is where I temporarily hit the wall. It's as if all the notes lift up their voices at once and the result is a dissonant cacophony of treble and scooped midrange. This stage simply doesn't suit me and never has, yet it evolves into a different melody after 20 minutes or so have elapsed. Once that transpires, I'm back to enjoying the Geoffrey Beene concert of perfume notes.

So, Grey Flannel isn't exactly in my wheelhouse due to its array of citrus and floral components at war with one another during their youth. Does this mean I put it on blast because of what I consider its adolescent indiscretions? That would be unfair because Grey Flannel is a unique masculine with history and the personal associations that come with that. Sillage is good with longevity approximately 4 hours on my skin before morphing into a personal space scent. Thumbs up from Aromi for Geoffrey Been's Grey Flannel and a strong recommendation to sample before purchasing this classic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Legacy 1912 Titanic Eau de Parfum for Women

Unpublished Reviews

Voile Blanc by Traveller Limited